So, blog awards aren’t always my thing, but I really like one that’s going around: the Happiness Tag. It’s just a request to say the things that make you happy, and then ask others the same question. Since I’m writing a food blog, I’ll use this happiness tag to talk about some foods that have been making me happy lately.
- Salmon: I have never eaten a lot of fish, but once in a while salmon is filling me with happiness these days. When cooked right, it’s flaky and mouth-melty, and yet is lighter and makes me less heavy and sleepy than lots of other protein sources. I’ve tried it lately with feta and herbs, and also in a green salad – so wonderful and summery.
- Pecans: While these are quite expensive lately, due to water shortages and other things, just a few go a long way! I have added a pecan or two to some cream cheese on top of celery lately and drizzled honey on and felt like I had the best dessert you could ask for (while still eating celery, let’s be real here…). Their nutty flavor is even more intense after toasting with a little butter on them.
- Cherry Tomatoes: Little tomatoes are great for adding to just about any summer dish! When I left for my road trip, the first few tomatoes were growing, little and green, on our cherry tomato bush and I’m so excited to get back and eat sweet, tiny tomatoes. I recently learned on the Gastropod podcast that the oldest form of tomatoes were actually tiny, a bit like cherry tomatoes now (not the same variety, but still!). Easier to eat without having tomato goo spurt everywhere too.
- Dried apricots: These fruits are the mvp for the road trip, and I’ll tell you why: most dried fruits I know are either overly sweetened (sorry pineapple) or overly chewy (craisins just aren’t for me). Apricots, when sold without extra sweetener, are the perfect mix of soft and chewy, and aren’t lip-puckeringly sour while also not being cloying in their sweetness. Love them.
- Milky coffee: I try to drink my coffee black most days (save a few calories without giving up a drink I love? Okay.) but milky coffee has been a nice vacation-time luxury for me lately. I don’t add sugar usually, just enough milk to make the whole thing blonde – milk has a lot of natural sugars in it anyway that make me happy.
Hey fellow bloggers: want to take this on? I nominate:
2. Love Ling
5. Ginger Jams
Looking forward to hearing what makes you happy! 🙂